I am sure that some of you are wondering why in the world we would be concerned with the "empty nest" syndrome while we have a house full of toddlers! Well, Spring break is around the corner. Yes, I can still understand why you might be confused because we don't have school age children, so what in the world does that have to do with us?! The answer is simple...It may not be Spring break for me, but it is for Grandparents who work in the schools and go to school! :-) So the kiddos are going to go spend a night with Nana and a night with Grandmom, leaving me with an "empty nest." Now you without children might not understand the train of thought that occurs next, but hopefully you will be humored by it nonetheless.
The thought of a quiet house for two days is thrilling, relaxing, tiring and lonely. The thrilling and relaxing part makes sense without any obvious explanation while the tiring part may cause some stirrings of wonder in you. Well, it will probably be tiring because I will finally have any opportunity, without many distractions, to get done all those little things that I normally excuse getting done because of the kiddos! For instance, refinishing the new dining table from Craigslist, painting over all the greasy little hand prints and streams of dog drool in the kitchen and hallways (appealing, huh?), sewing curtains for the loft, sorting through old baby clothes and the list goes on. See aren't you tired already, too?
Anyways, as I was discussing all this and the timing of dropping the children off and picking them up with Brandon, it hits me that I am going to really miss them and don't know that I will like the sound of an empty house all around me. Yes, it's only two days and I am very excited about this, but my pregnancy hormones can still get the better of me. So I find myself laying in bed and wandering down the road of "someday" (of course I take Brandon with me by discussing this out loud). Someday the kids will be gone in their own homes and ours will be quiet. Hopefully, God will allow the future to play out something like this... Addie will be 22-23years old, married and grandchildren will be in the not so distance future. That way our youngest would only be 16ish and still at home and by the time she is ready to leave we will have grand-kids to start filling the house with noise again! Brandon was probably rolling his eyes at me in the dark, but these are the crazy paths that my mind wanders. Thankfully, upon waking the next morning all those futuristic thoughts of "someday" are out of my mind as Ian calls from his bed "I'm POOP-EEE!" And I start to think, maybe I will let my lazy pregnant self take over for those couple of days and sit on the couch and eat bon-bons......
The thought of a quiet house for two days is thrilling, relaxing, tiring and lonely. The thrilling and relaxing part makes sense without any obvious explanation while the tiring part may cause some stirrings of wonder in you. Well, it will probably be tiring because I will finally have any opportunity, without many distractions, to get done all those little things that I normally excuse getting done because of the kiddos! For instance, refinishing the new dining table from Craigslist, painting over all the greasy little hand prints and streams of dog drool in the kitchen and hallways (appealing, huh?), sewing curtains for the loft, sorting through old baby clothes and the list goes on. See aren't you tired already, too?
Anyways, as I was discussing all this and the timing of dropping the children off and picking them up with Brandon, it hits me that I am going to really miss them and don't know that I will like the sound of an empty house all around me. Yes, it's only two days and I am very excited about this, but my pregnancy hormones can still get the better of me. So I find myself laying in bed and wandering down the road of "someday" (of course I take Brandon with me by discussing this out loud). Someday the kids will be gone in their own homes and ours will be quiet. Hopefully, God will allow the future to play out something like this... Addie will be 22-23years old, married and grandchildren will be in the not so distance future. That way our youngest would only be 16ish and still at home and by the time she is ready to leave we will have grand-kids to start filling the house with noise again! Brandon was probably rolling his eyes at me in the dark, but these are the crazy paths that my mind wanders. Thankfully, upon waking the next morning all those futuristic thoughts of "someday" are out of my mind as Ian calls from his bed "I'm POOP-EEE!" And I start to think, maybe I will let my lazy pregnant self take over for those couple of days and sit on the couch and eat bon-bons......
You crack me up, Blair! I love your thinking! And I understand the thrilling, relaxing, tiring, and lonely thing. I always look forward to time alone, but after a few hours, I start missing everyone and want them to come back! lol Moms can't win, huh?
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time...and try to rest too. :)
I'm going to have an empty nest for a WHOLE WEEK! All of my kids are going to my parents' house for a whole week! But I won't be doing much relaxing. I'm going to be putting down new flooring in our downstairs.
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog. It made me laugh this morning. Really enjoyed seeing everyone last night. I love you.
ReplyDelete