Monday, October 10, 2011

Dentists.....

This post is really more of a rant, than anything.  We knew that when we brought Elle home we had to get her into see a dentist ASAP.  Although her teeth were pretty on the exterior, we knew that did not mean much.  We saw a wonderful dentist in San Antonio and unfortunately did not have enough time to have them do the work that she needs.  So the Dentist left us with the advice to find a Pedodontist and have them do the work once we arrived in TN.
Elle was complaining enough about sensitivity with her teeth that we decided to go ahead and get her in now while we are still in Cookeville, before we get into our home in Nolensville.  So I get on the phone and find there are 3 Pedodontist's here that our insurance will cover.  I pick the one with their own private practice and can/will do sedation dentistry.  Everything seems great and I am feeling like an attentive mommy when I get the call to confirm our appointment.  The receptionist begins to explain their policies and procedures and tells me that I will not be able to go back with her for the x-rays or any other procedure, but will wait in the lobby.  I tell her that the appointment time is still good, but I will need to be able to go back with her, Elle is recently adopted and does not speak English.  The polite receptionist insists that their policy is for me to wait in the lobby.  I explain that that will not be acceptable and that if they can not confirm my appointment with me being able to sit next to Elle then we will not be coming. The next explanation is that they see children all the time who do not speak English and she should be fine, unless she has a physical or mental disorder that would necessitate me being with her.  I mean, really?!?!  This is not the same as other non-English speaking children who come in with their bio-parents for a cleaning!  I am not going to walk away from my little girl while a stranger leads her back to a sterile room and proceeds to poke around in her mouth.  She has already been left with strangers one to many times in her life and I am not about to do it again anytime soon!
In addition to all the above.... I still don't know if I would be comfortable leaving Addie, the well adjusted bio-kid, with a strange dentist by herself.  Addie is only five and Elle four!  I remember going to the dentist as a child and my Mom always stayed in the room with us until we were in Junior High.  I am responsible for these little ones God has given me and I just don't appreciate any medical practice that tries to exclude me from the care that my children would be receiving.  Does that strike anyone else as odd?!
So the long and short of it is, that I have rescheduled with another Pedodontist who is comfortable with me being in the room and now know that this is not something that I can assume in the future!

2 comments:

  1. I would have done the same thing! You are a good mommy! :-)

    I love reading about your family and hearing how Elle is doing!

    Wish we could have gone with you for injera! Did you dance on the stage this time? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha! Jennifer you are so funny. ;-)
    We love reading your blog too and seeing all 4 of you finally at home together!

    ReplyDelete