Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Do you understand me?!

One of the questions I am asked the most in reference to Elle is, "How is her English coming?"  Well, she has been with us for 2 months now (Yippee!!) and I would say that her langauge is coming along just fine.  And as an example of her progression I have a little story for you that happened something like this....

I was "brushing" Elle's hair after bathtime recently and caught a tangle.  She scrunched up her little shoulders and said, "Owww!"  I apologized and said that I had caught a tangle.  I continue brushing and Elle begins to repeat, "Rafunzel, Rafunzel." (Yes... that is how she say's it! P's and F's are somewhat interchangeable to her.)  Well, as I continue to detangle her hair I ask, "Rapunzel? What about Rapunzel?" She emphatically exclaims, "Tangled!"

Now how is that for understanding English?!  First of all I have now idea how she knew that the name of the movie was Tangled, as all it is ever called in this house is Rapunzel and secondly that she connected the tangle in her hair with Rapunzel's!  I think she is grasping the languauge just fine, in fact maybe a little to well, because I sure do listen to a lot of questions about wearing dress-up, matching pink clothes and braiding hair.  But all of that is another story for another time! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. The kids are all beautiful! I hope we get to se all of them and you over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete